Fennel Roasted Vegetables
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 lb red onions, each halved and cut into 6 or 8 wedges through the root end
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch wide wedges through the core
- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 – 2 tbsp fennel greens chopped
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic
- Sea salt, preferably gray salt
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Prepare all vegetables and place in a large bowl. Cover generously with olive oil and Fennel Spice Rub. Cover and toss well to combine.
Heat a very large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the carrots and cook for about 1 minute, then add the onions and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until the vegetables are nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat if needed to keep them from burning.
Add the fennel bulb, zucchini, additional Fennel Spice Rub or crushed fennel seed, and salt, to taste. Toss well to distribute the seasonings. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp oil and toss again. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the vegetables are deeply caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring them occasionally so they cook evenly. Serve immediately.