Collard Green Pasta
- 1 bunch collard greens stemmed and washed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onions cut in half lengthwise, then sliced across the grain
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, stalks and papery shells removed, sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8-12 ounces parmesan (to taste)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously and add collards. Blanch for 2 minutes then transfer to cold water and drain. Cut into thin ribbons. Heat oil over medium heat in large lidded frying pan and add onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender and translucent. Add salt, pepper flakes and garlic. Cook, about a minute, add collard greens and salt and pepper to taste. When the greens begin to sizzle, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add ½ cup water, cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until greens are tender.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Bring water in pot back to boil and add pasta. Cook al dente.
Before draining pasta, ladle ½ cup of cooking water from pot into frying pan with collards and onions. Drain the pasta and toss with the greens. Serve warm, topping each serving with parmesan to taste.