Chicago Dog Salad
When I first saw all the ingredients for this salad I was a bit skeptical but then I tried it and I am sold. I really enjoy salads that you don’t need store bought dressings to enjoy. Try this crazy salad and see what you think!
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 rounded tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz of shredded cabbage, bok choy or kohlrabi
- 1 romaine heart, shredded
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into angled 1-inch-thick slices
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve