Field Manager – Full Time
My Minnesota Farmer is looking for an energetic, motivated, and hard-working field manager to round out the 2017-18 farm team. Ideally, this is a minimum two-year position, with management responsibilities depending on previous experience. 1-2 years previous experience on a vegetable farm is desired. Position is from March through November with the possibility of winter work as available. Housing is a possibility. Position is an exempt, full-time managerial position. Previous experience is necessary but we are teachers as well as farmers. This job is an educational experience. Commensurate with proven experience and ranges between $18,000 and $23,000 annually. Also included is 1 week accrued vacation, free farm veggies and eggs, and discounted meat.
- Organization and management of: transplanting, weeding, drip irrigation, harvesting, and record keeping associated with the above tasks.
- Managing field harvest crew for quality and efficiency.
- Limited tractor work and basic mechanical fixes
- Post harvest handling and packing of produce for CSA, retail, farmers market and wholesale accounts following food safety standards.
- Field management and succession planting, irrigation schedule, harvest, pest and disease monitoring and controls.
- Participate in high tunnel harvest and weeding as needed.
- Crop and field weekly observation, either with Dean and Jean, or on your own.
My Minnesota Farmer is looking for managers-in-training that are self-motivated, organized, good communicators, and have an eye for efficiency and detail to help grow some of the highest quality, organic vegetables around! 1-2 years previous production farm experience is preferred, and this position is best suited for those seriously interested in farming as a profession. My MN Farmer is a production farm and we have high standards of efficiency and pace, and expect you to be able to step up, move quickly, think ahead, and keep up. This will be a great place for people that want to work hard, learn the business of farming, and have fun in the process!
Employees must have a positive attitude, be physically fit and able to regularly lift 40+ lbs, be interested in working in community with other farm employees, and enjoy working outside in all types of weather and sometimes uncomfortable physical situations.